THIS OPPORTUNITY IS ON HOLD FOR SUMMER 2020
About the Scholarship
Each year, the Chandler Society for Undergraduate Chemistry awards a scholarship to
one student to sponsor them as they do chemistry research during the summer. This scholarship
is designed for first or second-year undergraduates who want to begin their research career at
Columbia, but have no prior experience and might have difficulty winning a fellowship
otherwise. The award is $5,000 which will cover the cost of living on campus during the
summer. Students in any of Columbia’s undergraduate schools are welcome to apply.
The recipient of the award is expected to present on their summer research in the Fall of 2019 at Chandler Society's Undergraduate Research Symposium.
How to Apply
In order to be considered, you must first secure a research position with a faculty member
of Columbia’s chemistry department. The required materials for your application are:
- A letter of recommendation from a professor, instructor, or teaching assistant who can speak about your abilities and attitude as a student.
- A 1-2 page personal statement explaining why you are an ideal candidate for the
- scholarship, what your future goals are in chemistry, and a brief proposal of your research
- goals for the summer.
- A brief email to Vesna Gasperov from the professor you will work for acknowledging
- that you will be in their group.
Please send all application materials and have your letter writer send their
recommendation to Dr. Vesna Gasperov (email@example.com ) by 11:59 pm on Monday,
If you would like advice on finding a research position or want to know what it’s like to
do research as an undergraduate, attend a meeting of the Chandler Society on Wednesdays at
7:45 in Havemeyer 717 (inside the 7th floor lounge) and ask us! To receive weekly updates on
our meetings, email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be added to our mailing list.