With the support of a grant from President Lee C. Bollinger, the Presidential Global Fellowship offers first-year undergraduates who are seeking to develop a strong global foundation and a deeper understanding of the world around them with a unique opportunity to enrich their Columbia education beginning in the summer after their first year and to help students envision new ways of engaging with global topics and opportunities throughout their time at Columbia.
The Fellowship will provide funding for participation on a Columbia summer study abroad program to a highly select group of intellectually curious students who are able to imagine how an overseas experience can influence their examination of critical issues and who are committed to finding meaningful ways to engage a broad range of global topics throughout their undergraduate career.
Presidential Global Fellows will:
• Discover a new perspective about an academic discipline, body of knowledge, or specific issue;
• Build a knowledge base and network that empowers them to continue exploring global opportunities and supports them as they integrate their experiences into life back on campus;
• Develop core global competencies such as cultural knowledge, foreign language skills, critical thinking, and cross-cultural communication skills.
Each Presidential Global Fellowship includes:
• A scholarship that covers the program fee for a Columbia summer study abroad program.
• A stipend to cover round-trip airfare to and from the program site plus living expenses recommended by the program.
• Enhanced advising that focuses on how the Fellows can channel their global experiences into future intellectual, professional, and personal pursuits. This includes specialized academic, career, and fellowship advising sessions that allow the Fellows to develop individualized global education plans and to outline a strategy for achieving their goals.
• Activities before and after the study abroad program that deepen the relationships between Fellows, including group advising and shared reflection sessions.
Eligibility & Application
Candidates for the Presidential Global Fellowship must:
• Be a matriculated student with first-year standing in Columbia College, Columbia Engineering or the School of General Studies
• Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better by the end of the fall term;
• Apply and be accepted to a Columbia Summer Study Abroad Program; and
• Be committed to the goals of the fellowship.
Applicants should complete the Fellowship application by the Fellowship deadline. Applicants are also responsible for completing a Columbia Summer Program application by the program deadline.