Mortimer Hays-Brandeis Traveling Fellowships provide support to students in the visual and fine arts—including history, conservation, studio art, and photography—for travel and living expenses outside the U.S. in pursuit of a program of study or other activities approved by the selection committee.
Each fellowship provides a stipend of $19,000 in support of a year-long project. Graduating seniors at one of ten participating colleges and universities are eligible, as are recent graduates.
Applications for the Mortimer Hays-Brandeis Traveling Fellowship will be evaluated on a variety of criteria, including but not limited to:
- the merit of the project and its proposed outcomes,
- the adequacy of the candidate’s preparation and foreign-language proficiency for the project,
- the necessity of travel abroad to meet the goals and objectives of the project,
- the relationship of the project to the candidate’s prior work, preparation, and professional or creative goals, and
- the clarity of the project goals and the means by which they will be achieved.
Candidates for Hays-Brandeis Fellowships must be nominated by the institution from which they will receive (or have received) their undergraduate degrees, students may not apply directly to this program.
Columbia students may apply for nomination by clicking "Start Your Application" and completing all application materials before the internal deadline. Letters of recommendation should be submitted directly by references to email@example.com by the internal deadline as well.