The Social Enterprise Summer Fellowship Program, supported by The Tamer Center for Social Enterprise, provides an opportunity for students to apply what they have learned in the classroom in an organization focused on social change.
Currently enrolled undergraduate students and graduate students in good academic standing may apply for funding for a 6- to 10-week, full-time summer internship (at least 35 hours/week) with a social venture or social entrepreneurship-focused organization in the US or abroad. The social venture or organization can be a nonprofit 501(c)(3) (or its equivalent outside the US), for-profit social venture or social venture capital firm with a clearly defined social or environmental mission (see SESF website for more details on eligible organizations).The internship must be secured and accepted at the time of application.
SESF will contribute a $200 to $600 per week stipend to assist with expenses associated with the internship to summer fellows, depending on the availability of funds.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled full-time as a first-year, second-year, or third-year Columbia or Barnard undergraduate or graduate student;
- Applicants must be in good academic standing and not subject to any disciplinary proceedings;
- For multi-year degree programs, applicants must be returning to campus and enrolled as a full-time student during the fall semester after their fellowship, either on campus or participating in an approved Columbia University off-campus program;
- Applicants must agree to the terms and requirements of the Social Enterprise Fellowship Program (see SESF website); and
- Applicants must have secured and accepted an internship matching the criteria prior to submitting their application.
NOTE ON APPLICATION DEADLINES
Students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until funds are depleted, which may occur before the final deadline.
- March 1: Social Enterprise Summer Fellowship application opens. Students who have secured and/or accepted an internship can complete the full application and other requirements and return it by the first round deadline of March 15.
- March 15: First-round of completed applications are due.
- April 1: Second-round of completed applications are due.
- April 15: Third-round of applications are due. If funds are still available after this date, applications will continue to be accepted.