The UCLA Public Health Scholars Training Program provides undergraduate students the opportunity to explore the field of public health through hands-on training, structured workshops, group events, volunteering opportunities, and leadership and professional development. Located in Los Angeles, the program offers scholars the opportunity to train at UCLA, to explore public health in one of the most diverse counties in the US, and to experience the city’s vibrant culture.
Scholars are placed at community-based organizations, health systems, or government agencies throughout Los Angeles where they are exposed to the spectrum of public health practice and provided with professional mentors. To supplement field work, scholars attend workshops, develop leadership and professional skills, and receive mentoring from graduate students and faculty
- Cohort of 40-50 students participate in an 8-week in-residence summer training program (June 20 - August 13, 2021)
- Scholars are matched with partnering organizations, where the scholars contribute to public health work 3 days per week
- Scholars attend structured educational programming two days per week designed to build public health skills and learn about professional opportunities
- Scholars receive a $3,000 stipend, housing, funding to cover some meals, and metro pass or funding for gas
- Scholars attend a paid trip to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Georgia with Public Health Scholars from other programs across the nation
- Scholars that do not live in California will receive funds for travel to and from the program in Los Angeles (if we are approved to host an in-person program).
Interest in exploring a career in the field of public health
By the start of the program, be enrolled in a four-year institution (community college transfers eligible) and have completed at least two years of undergraduate education OR graduated Spring term 2020 or after and have not officially enrolled in a graduate program
- Ability to be present in LA and participate in program activities from June 20 - August 13, 2021
- Willingness to attend social and volunteer events on evenings and occasional weekends (virtually and in-person).
- Willingness to stay engaged with program for alumni tracking, professional development opportunities, maintaining contact with cohort, and participate in recruitment for the 2022 cohort
- Successful submission of all application materials
- There is no GPA requirement
* additional criteria outlined in application, please visit website for additional details