Once you have found an opportunity (or several) that you want to apply to, you will need to allow for plenty of time since applying takes many steps. Preliminary steps include:
- researching the fellowship or research project in depth;
- deciding what your goals are for the fellowship or research opportunity;
- seeking advice from faculty and URF advisers; and
- talking with faculty about letters of recommendation.
You will then need to craft your unique candidacy for the fellowship or research application. The next steps involve a good deal thinking and writing about yourself, your interests, and your plans. Applications typically include:
- Personal statement
- Research proposal
- Letters of recommendation
In later stages, you might also have an interview as fellowship committees make their final decisions.
Remember, each application process is different. URF advisers are here to support you every step of the way.